Atlanta’s oldest pediatric practice, Peachtree Park Pediatrics was first established in a small house at 33 Ponce de Leon Avenue in the early 1940’s by Dr. William Funkhouser. For the first six years in practice, he was joined by Dr. Hines Roberts. Considered two of Atlanta’s first pediatricians, these two esteemed pediatricians were instrumental in the founding of Egleston Children’s Hospital, now part of the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta hospital system, noted currently to be a leader in the nation for its exemplary pediatric care. In 1952, Dr. Funkhouser welcomed Dr. Olin Shivers to the practice. Dr. Shivers had completed his training in several children’s centers including Cornell, Vanderbilt and John’s Hopkins, in addition to receiving advanced training in pediatric allergy at Duke University. Dr. Shivers and Dr. Funkhouser were joined in practice for several years during this time by Dr. Richard Blumberg. He later left Peachtree Park Pediatrics to become chairman of the department of Pediatrics at Emory University for nearly 30 years. Dr. Robert Garner joined Drs. Funkhouser and Shivers in 1957 after training at Washington University in St. Louis and upon completion of service in the United States Army. In 1967, nurse Brenda Vickery became a part of the Peachtree Park family until her retirement in 2008.
In 1976, when Dr. Funkhouser was in his mid-nineties and no longer practicing, Dr. Randall Barfield joined Peachtree Park Pediatrics. He completed medical school at Emory University, and his residency in Montreal, Canada at McGill University affiliated hospitals. Dr. Robert Wiskind entered Emory Medical School upon completion of his college degree at Dartmouth, and remained at Emory to train with the pediatric residency program until he joined Peachtree Park Pediatrics in 1992. Following the death of Dr. Shivers in 1994, Dr. Nicole Ellerine became the practice’s first female physician. She received her medical degree in South Africa and her pediatric training at Emory University. Dr. Garner passed away in 2000 and Dr. Anna Kuo joined the practice after having been an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Emory for seven years. She trained at Yale, Emory, and the University of Maryland. In 2005, our fifth physician, Dr. Shea Fleming, completed her medical education and residency at Emory University and joined the practice. She completed her undergraduate studies at Boston College. In August 2013 we welcomed Dr. Lauren Vergouven Brown, a graduate of Medical College of Georgia (MCG) and residency at Emory University. Dr. Barfield retired mid-2016 and we welcomed Dr. Brian Winn in August of 2017. Dr. Winn completed his undergraduate studies at Medical College of Georgia and his residency at Emory University. During his final year of residency, Dr. Winn completed his primary care training in our office.
The practice moved from its location at 33 Ponce de Leon to 16th Street in mid-town, and eventually to 47 Peachtree Park Drive in 1966. At this location Peachtree Park Pediatrics became known as the “drive-in” pediatric office due to a progressive architectural innovation which allowed the patient to by-pass the traditional office waiting room and enter an exam room directly from an exterior door of the building. In 2002, the practice moved to its current location filling a specially designed modern pediatric suite in a professional medical building at 3193 Howell Mill Road.